Wednesday, May 1, 2013

When we think we remember...

My good friend Denys was born on April 27. Since he was having another birthday, I wanted to make he'd knew it from he, in case he had forgotten. I only put a few number in speed-dial on my land phone, but for some reason, he's not even though I call it quite frequently.

The reason I think – until recently at least – was that I thought I knew his number from heart. So on April 27 I dial up his number. As a form of basic respect for his privacy, I will only mention the last four digits of what I believed his phone number: 72 11. I called once, let it ring a few times, hung up thinking he was enjoying a good meal at some nearby restaurant and later in the evening I call again; ...72 11.

No answer, I let the voice-mail pick-up, assuming now that he's gone out of town and leave a humorous message only Denys could appreciate. Several days later, I wondered if 72 11 was indeed the right number; it wasn't. It was 74 11 instead. Never assume anything and rely on an aging memory too much. I've learned my lesson!

No comments: