Saturday, June 1, 2013

Learning alone as an adult

I could call that “the instructions for use syndrome.” It is very hard to set time aside to learn a new skill, especially as an adult who's become lazy and think he knows better! I'm experiencing it at the moment as I'm trying to master the art of using Sketchup, this computer aided design program.

I just got the bare minimum that works 80% of the time, but I'm struggling on the other 20%, so much so, in fact that I lose whatever advantage I've gained with using that powerful software. This costs me time, frustration and building mistakes that will come to haunt me later on as I refine my designs.
 
So what's the solution? Reviewing the courses I have already taken and taking some new ones. Of course practicing as I build up my skills – which delights me, but not skirting the hard work of learning alone. This takes some mental strength that I've yet to acquire!

No comments: