Sunday, June 23, 2013

When extreme risk is too much risk

I love flying and I adore airplanes, but air stunts have always made me very nervous; this is perhaps I spend my military time at the French air base where the French aerobatic squad was training, but I always thought that performing tricky air maneuvers too close to the ground was the perfect recipe for disaster.

Yesterday, Jane Wicker, an attractive 46 old woman, a so-called “wing walker,” mother of three young kids, didn't get a second chance when she stood up on that biplane wing and the aircraft suddenly lost lift. I know that every thing we do is dangerous, whether it's skiing, mountain biking, walking on a roof and the like, but the margin of safety in each one of these activities varies vastly. At my age, I'd rather have more of it than less...

No comments: