Saturday, July 20, 2013

Jack of all trades?

Yesterday evening was concert night, featuring Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers, along with Edie Brickell. While I had never heard of the blue-grass band and of the female vocalist, I knew and appreciated Steve Martin as a comedian and as a writer. I had no idea he had played banjo for five decades and even less that he was touring with that group.

Was I impressed? Perhaps by his multiple talents but not necessarily by the performance he gave in front of 5,000 people. The jokes were trite, the singing fair and certainly not to the level I would have expected from that celebrity.

As I was thinking, it's hard for the same person to win the tour de France, climb K2 without oxygen and win the 100 meter dash! Just put another way, it's almost impossible to excel at everything. Sometimes, we all should remember that...

No comments: