Monday, July 15, 2013

Waiter in Bavaria...

Just about 40 years ago, I bravely jumped behind the wheel of my Renault 12 station wagon and traveled from my French hometown, the 353 miles (568 km) through the Arlberg, all the way to picturesque Grainau in Bavaria. You see, I wanted to learn German so bad, that I had decided to get a summer job and immerse myself into it following a first stint in nearby Tübingen that going me going on that project.
Upon reaching the foot of the Zugspitze, I got a job as a waiter, the lady in charge took me to the local store and had me purchase a pair of black slacks, a white shirt and a new career of mine was blooming. Alas, it ended up being a short flowering season as I soon realized that I wasn't quite cut to serve the blue trouts or “Forelle Blau” that were the house specialty. Within a week, I was back in France, but I still was determined to learn German, somehow, someday... 

No comments: