Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Stein Eriksen, 1927 - 2015

Much has been said about the iconic skier, Stein Eriksen, that passed away at age 88, in Park City, on December 27. I never knew much about him until I came to America in 1977. At that time, Norm MacLeod, from Beconta reminded me about his stunning ski achievements along with his great class, his godly looks, impeccable dress and wonderful kindness.

In the early eighties, my friend Michel Duret, from France, even produced a batch of Pure Gold luxury skis endorsed by the Champion who also remained the ideal model for Bogner ski clothing all of his life. I met Stein more closely during ski functions and also when I move to Park City in 1985.

He developed into an incredible public personality, even more so than Toni Sailer and Jean-Claude Killy ever became; in fact, he seemed to have directed all of his focus into turning his public persona into the quintessential ambassador to skiing in North America.

Rest in peace, Stein

No comments: