Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Jet lag and old folks

I used to travel an awful lot and through the years, developed my own technique in dealing with jet lag.

For one thing, I always adhered to the following principles: 
  • Try to sleep as much as possible during the flight. 
  • Run or exercise strenuously upon arrival at my new destination. 
  • Convince myself that the new local time is the real one and never “translate” with the time at home. 
 The bottom line is that it worked pretty well for me as I was trained and much younger. I've also always experienced that eastward travel was much tougher as I was losing precious sleeping time and my circadian rhythms were more perturbed.
Westward flying was much easier, of course, for the very same reasons. Sitting still for hours plus breathing recirculated foul air wasn't helping either.

Today as I am getting close to 70, most of these negative elements seem to have amplified and jet lag is no longer a fun and enjoyable game to play. Morale of the story:

Don't wait until you're 80 to do all your heavy traveling!

No comments: