Saturday, October 7, 2017

Virtual internet at Club Med

Internet connection is like freedom; I see it as an inalienable right; period.

Well, not so fast; when we arrived at Club Med, as we do in any hotel or resort we get to, we immediately logged into its Wifi system with variable results.

My wife could get into her iPad, but at struggling speed and I wasn't able to make my laptop and phone work on what turned out later to be an anemic, if not half-dead internet delivery system.

At first, I blamed my laptop and one of the browsers I always use. It took me 2 days to realize that I should have questioned Club Med's bandwidth, right from the start!

Club Med at Opio knows that their regular Wifi is useless so they advertise an optional “broadband” for an extra price.

I come from the standpoint that if I can get excellent internet service in hotels that charge less than 100 euros a night, I ought to get the same at Club Med that charges two to four times more than that!

After struggling about a day and having to be mean and threatening, I finally got the magic pass that opened the door to a decent internet speed. Oh yes, just for our last day of stay!

No comments: