Friday, July 6, 2018

A shifting viewpoint on America

When I left France to settle in the United States more than 41 years ago, I was under the illusion that America was still the “laboratory of the future” and also was a progressive country fully engaged into social change.

Since these days, I have lived in its environment, struggled to make my place in society and progressively discovered the true face of my new country's society.

Today, I realize that my country of citizenship is profoundly racist, unjust and quite corrupt at the political level. Many of its baby-boomer that once were so revolutionary are now watching Fox News and have become part of the problem.

Americans still are disciplined, good foot soldiers and have been trained to believe that their government is the best in the world and that American exceptionalism is what it's supposed to be.

So where does that slow-seeping realization leaves me? Ready to move back to Europe or better yet, to nearby Canada?

Not quite, but definitely open to explore alternative ways to change the society I'm living in, no matter how arduous it might be and how long this might take.

No comments: