Friday, July 13, 2018

How long will I ski?

If you asked me that question today, I'd probably answer “Till the day I die”, something totally predictable.

I had just read an article in the British “Telegraph” on how to ski into old age and I, too, have my idea on it. The article tried to address injuries, natural decline and some sophisticated analysis and regimented plans. This is a bit too much. I don't want to see a guru or enroll into some kind of “rejuvenation program”!

My philosophy is more along the lines of “going with the flow” and following one's common-sense just like using more gravity and less muscle strength - that's dwindling anyway - and by listening closely to our very own instincts that tend to protect us from harm.

For instance, my body tells me not to jump a 5 foot drop anymore because it knows that it's shock-absorbing capabilities are no longer effective to soften the landing.

Of course, I try to stay as fit as I can, without enslaving myself into some unrealistic objectives, knowing full well that I won't be able to spectacularly push back my physiological decline.

You could call this being smarter in using whatever we have left, and that pretty much covers it.

No comments: