Thursday, July 5, 2018

An old friendship

I met Jean-Pierre for the first time in Chamonix and then in Megève, France, in late May of 1971. We were both in our early twenties and ready for some big time adventures.

From Genoa, Italy, we traveled by ship to Australia via Naples, Athens, the Canary Islands, Durban, South Africa, Perth, Adelaide and disembarked in Melbourne with a host of weird stories happening during the protracted voyage, plagued with recurring strikes by the Italian crew.
We then taught skiing at Mt. Buller, an Australian ski resort, and liked it so much that we returned the following season, albeit working at different ski schools. From there, we just kept in touch.

In 1974, as I grew tired of teaching skiing, JP, as he's often called, got me in touch with Look bindings.

Bottom line: He's the one who helped me land my first ski-industry-insider job, launch my career and got me into the United States where we both reside these days!

No comments: