Saturday, August 4, 2018

Crank and spare wheel

Not so long ago, I stopped at our Tesla dealership to check out their new car and when I opened the rear trunk (yeah, there's a front trunk too in that auto) I realized that there was no spare tire.

I was a bit shocked to see a car manufacturer get away with it, but after researching the issue a bit further, I found out that today, in the United States, one third of the new cars are sold without a spare tire, to save both money and weight.

Such cars are equipped with a sealant, have “run-flat tires” or require that you call your roadside service, I guess. I don't know about you, but I don't like the idea one bit.

This transported me back in the days when I drove a Citroën 2cv that came equipped with a crank to start it when the battery was dead. When European car makers began placing their engines transversely in the 60s, that too brought the life of the old crank to an end.
Motorists weren't happy then, just like they aren't today!

No comments: