Friday, August 31, 2018

Should I go metric?

Yesterday was a medical check-up day for me. Before I saw my doctor, the nurse checked my vital signs, including my weight of 73 kg. Well, usually on my bathroom scale it's more like 162 lbs. That sounds like a lot and it probably is, so that observation got me thinking: Should I switch to metric and forget about the backward way that America still clings to?

Sad, but true, as of today, only the United States, Liberia, and Myanmar still do not use the metric system for weights and measurements.

As you can see, we're in an extremely good company and this is probably one of the singularity that “makes America great” as Trump would say.

Only science, medicine, and technology are unofficially using the metric system and if I followed them, this would be easy for telling me the temperature, reading dimensions and weighing myself. True, I already use grams when I prepare a fondue, but I would be hard pressed to go with kilometers and do without miles if I wanted to avoid getting speeding tickets.

So the question for me is quite simple. Should I wait for America to switch (I'll probably need to keep living till I'm 200) or pretend I'm metric and confuse myself in muddling my way through the two systems?

This sounds very complicated, will require more thinking time like just now, for but it's now time for my 12 oz of beer!

No comments: