Saturday, October 13, 2018

As a last resort, hit it!

We've had this Sharp atomic clock on our kitchen wall for just a dozen years, and for the most part, it's worked fine, except when the clock or the outside sensor batteries were dead, or the two were out of synch. On Thursday, that old clock suddenly beeped to announce that it had ceased to work.

I thought it might have been the batteries that needed replacement and immediately took care of it, but to my dismay, the display stayed stubbornly blank. I checked the polarities, tried another set of batteries, to absolutely no avail, and finally decided that after having a good life, that old clock had counted enough hours.

Since I'm not someone to procrastinate, I immediately began to shop for a replacement, from Amazon, to Home Depot, Walmart and Bed Bath & Beyond, I looked for the same product or an updated version.

Well, for one thing, the Sharp brand, in that category, seemed to be no longer available, and I looked for other makes on all these sites, called the local shops, but couldn't find what I wanted.

Later on, as saw that clock still sitting dead on the counter, I decided to dump it into the garbage, but as a last-ditch gut-feeling I shook it, hit it hard and suddenly the screen when from blank to filled up with its default setting numbers. The atomic timekeeper had resurrected!

The take-away from that technological miracle is that in case of breakdown, following attempts to repair and replacement and search on the internet, it always pays to hit the failing product before ditching it. It might resurrect.

Now, I'm beginning to understand why so many men beat their wives!

No comments: