Thursday, October 25, 2018

Take-away from Japan

I've known Japan since the seventies, traveled there a dozen times and done quite a bit of business with Japanese during my career.

We also had a Japanese foreign-exchange student for one year, with us, in Park City.

Through my general experience, I've also become a "Japanophile".

Sure, I'm no expert on Japan, but today, I'd like to submit to you all the positive elements I see today, about that country (from the serious to the trivial):
  • Very nice, polite people 
  • Collective vs. Individual 
  • Honesty 
  • Timeliness 
  • Cleanliness 
  • Beauty without superfluity 
  • Wonderful children
  • Great food 
  • Impressive infrastructure (buildings, highways, bridges and tunnel)
  • Fabulous public transportation 
  • Excellent, common-sense based, educational system 
  • Good health care and social programs 
  • Low birth rate (counter-intuitive, but what the world really needs)
  • Smart toilets 
  • Tiny cars
On the other hand, there are the not-so-good elements I've observed and believe about Japan:
  •  Impossibly complex language
  • Communication difficulties 
  • Crowded environment 
  • Lack of space 
  • Extreme regimentation
  • Excessive urbanization
  • Male-dominated society 
  • Lack of business effectiveness 
  • Frequent, bad weather 
  • Earthquakes, Tsunamis and Typhoons 
  • The Japanese breakfast menu 
Hard to tell if Japan is the ideal place on the planet, but it certainly has nothing to envy to North America or Europe. If you happen to know or have experienced Japan, do you agree with my analysis?

No comments: