Friday, October 26, 2018

Skipping a beat?

Usually, we receive a notice in the mail urging us to renew our cars registration, but this year we didn't receive one for my wife's Mini, which registration was to expire at the end of this month.

Since we were absent for a good portion of October, I assumed the notice got lost in the bunch of mail we had put on hold and manage to slip through the cracks. So, today, I paid a visit to our local DMV and asked why I had not received a notice and also notifying them I wanted to renew that car's registration.

The lady on duty told me I failed to receive a renewal notice simply because the registration wasn't renewed last year. She turned her computer screen towards me and said it had not been paid for.

I replied “Impossible! I'm certain the current sticker on the license plate says 18 (for 2018), and I'll be glad to bring it and show it you when I've affixed the new one for 2019...” 
She didn't seem to believe me, so I paid next year's fee, went to the car and realized that the sticker said 17, not 18 as I believed it did.

Bottom line, my wife had been driving her car all year with an expired registration and neither her nor I had any idea about it. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss!

No comments: