Tuesday, July 2, 2019

How I got the Look job

Getting a job with Look ski bindings has been a big deal for me back in 1974, for it ushered me into what would be a wonderful career in the sport and leisure business.

For a long time, I had been looking for a year-round gig inside the ski industry, and following the advice of my good friend Chatellard, I applied for several jobs that he told me were open.

One was with Salomon, another with Rossignol and there was another one with Look. I applied at Salomon, but got rejected and immediately thereafter tempted my luck with Look. 
I wrote a nice job application letter, touting my “deep understanding of the ski industry” and my fluency in English, German and Italian, in addition, of course, to French. My resumé must have so impressed Mrs. Beyl, wife of Look’s owner and founder, that she invited me to interview for the position.

Late July of that year, I put on my nice green corduroy suit, drove to Nevers, a small town smack in the center of France, and managed to locate the old Look factory that was soon to be moved into a brand new facility.

Mrs. Beyl asked me a bunch of questions that I had forgotten since, told me that their World Cup Racing Service Manager, a Swiss fellow called Plancherel had quit and needed to be replaced.

She briefly described the position, I said I liked the job and the pay, plus the company car Look provided. That was a giant improvement over my current situation. Then Madame Beyl asked me what was my zodiac sign. Good think I remembered it; I answered: “Capricorn!”

She said: “You’ve got the job, you start on September 2nd!”

No comments: