Friday, December 6, 2019

My ever-evolving view of skiing

When I began to ski, there wasn’t much involved. I side-stepped up the hill, skied down straight and ended my schuss with a hockey stop.
Then, I discovered the magic of lift-assisted ascent and my ski life suddenly changed. I loved to do the tuck position while racing my friends and experience a good modicum of speed.

The next thing on the menu was to refine my turns, nuance them with skidding and it’s only a few years latter that I discovered deep snow, slalom and marveled at a new world of possibilities.

Today, as I enter old age, I still love the huge variety of forms skiing afford, and except for competitive skiing, I still participate in all of them, at varying degrees, for sure, but my skiing remains diversified, opportunistic and always has an eye turned on new discoveries.

My ski adventure keeps on going on!

No comments: