Saturday, December 7, 2019

Was it the snow or my age?

On Thursday, 9990, my favorite chairlift opened up and I wouldn’t miss it for anything. I didn’t go in the morning, but took my time and made it an afternoon outing.

This was my first “athletic” and technically serious ski day of the season, but as always, I was quite confident in my ability to tame the hill.

The snow, which had not been skied this season and the high temperature combined to create a cement-like density, which made skiing extremely tricky and hard work.

Add to this the fact that with a relatively shallow cover, I was quite mindful of rocks and hidden branches or small trees and this was cutting into my flow and the speed needed to break through the crud, so I got tired faster and wasn’t building the kind of confidence I needed.

So was it all that or the burden of an extra year? I’d guess, it might have been a little bit of both, even though my lap times were still up to the level of the previous season.

We’ll need to verify this!

No comments: