Monday, March 2, 2020

The right helmet and gloves help a lot!

On Saturday afternoon I went skiing, picked up the helmet that was sitting on the washing machine, in the laundry room, got my boots and drove away.

Since it was a busy weekend and I couldn’t find a parking spot at Park City, I decided to drive to the Canyons base, just 5 minutes away. I found a great spot for my car, near the ski lift, and after I put on my ski boots, I realized that the green helmet, the goggles and the gloves that were inside were in fact my wife’s!

Since by that time I didn’t want to return home to get my own gear, I looked instead under the car front seat to see if I still had a spare pair of gloves my wife had put there in the past, but I forget to put them back last spring when I cleaned up the auto.

Since I was far too embarrassed to call up my wife and ask her to drive over and get me my own gear, I bravely forced the smaller size helmet into my voluminous head, replaced it quickly to unfold one of my ears that got crushed in the process, checked if the goggles worked, then embarked into forcing my massive hands into my wife tiny mittens, and they miraculously got in.

Everything was suddenly placed under massive tension: My brains and my hands and their fingers; I then proceeded to the slopes and skied till the resort closed.

The experience wasn’t the best ever as the pressure on my hears prevented me to hear anything and holding my poles wasn’t easy, but I avoided thinking too much about it as it could have caused my head to explode.

I acted like a zombie on skis, looking forward to the end of the day. The best part happened when I successively freed my head and my hands from their temporary vises...

No comments: