Thursday, July 8, 2021

Kip Pitou, 1940-2021

The man who successively had almost been my mentor before becoming - at times - my tormentor, just passed away today. 

He was the brother of Penny Pitou, the winner of two silver medals at the 1960 Olympics in Squaw Valley. 

Kip began as a ski instructor (pictured here at age 23) at his sister’s ski school, at what is now Gunstock ski area, in New Hampshire. 

Shortly thereafter, he began working for Beconta in New York City, which happened to distribute Look ski bindings. 

When I joined that company in France, he suggested that I move over to work at its new US subsidiary and I jumped on the opportunity. 

Later on, when I still was with Lange ski boots, and had moved to Utah he had suggested that I take over Koflach ski and mountaineering boot national distribution, which I single-highhandedly and successfully did. 

Following these, I had other opportunities to working with Kip while he was in Utah, that didn't quite meet my expectations, but so are relationships and so is life. 

Rest in peace, Kip.

No comments: