Saturday, April 23, 2022

The price to pay for a dry ski season

This past ski season saw very little in terms of precipitations. I’m talking about snow of course. 

All season long, the cover stayed thin (we were lucky that it stayed cold enough to keep it) and I witnessed the explosion of moguls on most Park City slopes and quasi inaction on the part of the grooming crews who didn’t dare to tackle bumps and churn earth and rocks amid the snow they were trying to till. 

Usually, if November and December are snow-poor, January transitions into a much deeper base, February is usually very good, while March sees the highest depths. This didn’t happen in 2021-2022! So, this bring me to the next subject: 

A poor snow cover makes up for exposing all kinds of obstacles ranging from big boulders to rocks, to finer gravel and to stumps, roots or the like that will do a job on ski base if enough pressure and speed are applied. 

This is how this season, my “good skis”, fast became permanent “rock skis” and why I never used a brand new pair of Dynastar I had set aside for the time when snow would be plentiful and worries about hitting rocks would have vanished. 

This brings me to the painful point brought forth by that situation: Our family skis need to be rebuilt, refinished and re-tuned from scratch and that’s a task I am mildly not looking forward to, even though when I don my apron and finally get working, I always end up relishing the activity. 

Must be my love for skiing!

No comments: