Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Knowing when to stop…

I’ve always been very vocal about being able to let go and not hang onto top jobs that could be better filled by younger people once we reach a certain age, but apparently that message is not universally understood or must have exception. 

In my French hometown, a buddy of my age, has found a way to get elected to a top position at a key regional racing committee. To me 75 years is a very old age, and no longer appropriate to lead effectively, but this guy must have a secret formula to stay young and think young or else, be inhabited by a relentless ego and fully unable to accept himself as he truly is. 

The problem is that kind of “Let me still do it” attitude, prevents younger people from learning, gaining experience and pulling from their vision, audacity and creative spirit, that are part and parcel of youth. 

I feel sorry for that former acquaintance whom I congratulated by the way, but he’s yet to send me a “thank you” note. I guess he still has a few things to learn about handling his emails and refining his communication protocol...

No comments: