Sunday, April 30, 2023

Can I ever beat this ski season?

This season was long, abundantly covered with snow, with frequent deep refills even though they weren't always the lightest Utah quality I’m so used to. 

As a result of that winter of plenty, I skied many days and piled up an impressive total vertical drop. So, as I look to the next season, the logical question is, “What can I do for an encore?” The way I can answer it is that I should probably opt for a more qualitative, instead of quantitative skiing. 

Quantitative skiing could be defined by how many number of days and hours on the snow I spent during one season, as well as the greater possible vertical drop in feet or meters achieved during that same period of time. 

Qualitative could mean a lot of things: Further refine my technique, explore and discover new possibilities in that domain, and acquire even more muscle-memory that relates to skiing. Ski more difficult snow and more challenging terrain, become even smoother on skis, more efficient in terms of efforts expended, and why not, even more stylish or good looking on my pair of boards. 

My age being what it is, I am still quite confident that I could achieve that qualitative path better than the quantitative one. The latter is what I would consider like maxed out, close to a zone of diminishing returns, and becoming almost dangerous as it promotes speed and heightens the risk that goes with packing up more vertical within a limited time constraint. 

This, on paper, looks like a doable and exciting program, but will I be able to follow it religiously and forget the quantitative side so easily?

No comments: