Sunday, April 9, 2023

Visualizing one’s pelvis to ski better

It took me about 70 years to figure how to understand and find an effective tool for initiating ski turns in challenging terrain, and while I have discussed that technical point before on that blog, I’ve found a good way to turn this very important concept into some sort of muscle-memory. 

 

First I look at that picture of pelvis, mentally memorize it, and when it’s permanently identifiable into my mind’s eye, I can bring it back to my attention any time my skiing is below par. 

What that pelvic-thrust as I call it does, if projected so slightly up and into the direction of the turn, it unlocks the hip bones (femur) and magically sets them into a different direction that will initiate a new turn. 

As I indicated above, I really can think this motion is quite natural, at least more so than turning the upper body and opening the pole-plant arm into the slope, and can almost be built into physical memory, but it’s the next best thing to have at one’s disposal when one needs it...

No comments: