Sunday, April 23, 2023

France’s ski instructors big party

In April 2007, Avoriaz, my French ski resort alma mater, organized the end of season national instructor race, and did it again this year. 

The event ended with the victory of Thomas Fanara, a former French Team member in the slalom, the gathering key event. 

Strangely, women had no choice but to race against men (French instructors are still really patriarchal and out of step with the 21st century) and the first and only woman who made it was Adeline Mugnier, from nearby Les Gets, who ranked 73rd, less than 7 seconds behind the winner. 

Most importantly though, this 2,000 people gathering is even more about partying than competing as the video illustrate. As for me, a friend asked me if I was missing the action. I just said: “Not really, skiing is still too good in Park City!” 


No comments: