Friday, May 9, 2008

The French and the internet

I have a large number and friends of relative who live in France and ever since the internet arrived on the scene in a big way, some 12 years ago, I was hoping that it would become an invaluable tool in keeping me closely connected to all the people that I like who live not just in France, but outside of my Park City home. There’s no question that I’ve always been attracted to new technologies and am truly an “early adopter.” We’ve enjoyed broadband internet and wireless home network for almost a decade and the internet is the first home appliance we use in the morning, even before brewing our first cup of coffee. The “net” has become the many newspapers we read, our weather forecast, our encyclopedia, our message center and a treasured source of information that we use and cherish daily. If we had to choose between TV and Internet, Evelyne and I would jump on the latter without hesitation. Now let’s bring France and even Europe into the internet picture and along with it, my friends and relatives; granted, many of these folks aren’t twenty anymore and I can appreciate how hard it can be to adjust to new technologies, but when I ask them “do you have internet access?” they all answer affirmatively but never seem to ever use it. In most cases, I send them a message and receive no answer whatsoever. If I’m lucky I might get a response within ten days or two weeks. Then I wonder; do these guys really have on-line access? Oh yes, I always hear, “our internet isn’t working, it’s being fixed by some techie…” or “that’s my wife’s deal…” Do they even know how to use the system? Are they afraid to use a keyboard and type up a response? Are they still nostalgic of their beloved Minitel? I don’t know; I’m puzzled, frustrated and disappointed, but one thing is certain; the internet loves instant response and treats old stuff like a three-day old dead fish that hasn’t been refrigerated. Wake up to society-changing communication technology, France!

No comments: