Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Value in being sixty-something

Few people want to act their age; the young want to look older, and the old refuse to be seen as ancient as they really are. Contrarian, I'm willing to go against that trend by emphasizing my seniority. For instance, I’m proud to be a sexagenarian and embracing that threshold; Last month as I was purchasing a day ticket to ski in Snowbasin, I noticed – after I had signed the credit card receipt – that the resort offered a better deal for so-called “seniors,” namely folks over sixty-five. Wheels started to turn into my mind and when I last skied in Snowbird I made sure to take off my cap to show my balding head and its few remaining white hair before I ordered their “senior” day ticket; I got it and save myself ten dollars in the process. A few hours later, I was riding the chair with a fellow who must have been close to eighty and who boasted that he had paid another nineteen dollars less than me for his “over 70” lift ticket. Now, that’s another step to look forward to…

No comments: