Sunday, May 4, 2008

Skiing is "mind over matter"

This past Friday was yet another ski day for me in nearby Snowbird. I had not skied that place since 2006, as my Achilles’ tendon rupture didn’t let me sample my favorite Utah’s ski resort last season. It was quite cold in the morning and to top it off, the “Bird” had received 17 inch of snow the day before. I started to ski at 10 am and I just did one tram and one Mineral Basin’s side just to experience the new access tunnel. I ended up running laps on the new Peruvian Express Chair which offer 2,572 vertical feet of varied terrain. The snow stayed pretty good for most of the day and this led another uninterrupted series of runs, with lunch time on the chair and only one "pit-stop" behind a large fir tree. I only used a relatively small portion of groomed runs but all of the steep skiing took place on crud which at first was powdery and turned heavy around noon. I discovered was that if I stayed as “tall” as I could and perfectly centered on my skis, my turns were steady and secure, and this in spite of thighs that started to become painful and burn around the 40,000 vertical mark. I remained steady and kept going, realizing that it truly was a case of “mind over matter.” At 4:16 pm I was back at my car and hardly could believe that I had skied over 60,000 vertical feet on the second day of May!

No comments: