Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Recognizing limitations

It’s a wonderful feeling to acknowledge how good we are, but it’s another story to recognize our own limitations; yet, few of us can do it all and it’s always hard to accept, especially if you’re male. That situation happened to me a week or so ago when I was trying to play “electrician” and put a finishing touch to our new kitchen by installing under-counter Xenon lamps and attempting to re-route the phone line for that room. I was getting a bit frustrated because the electrician was just… one day late! I went to get some tools and supplies and proceeded with the installation. Attaching the lamp housings was relatively easy, but when I starting to hard-wire each fixture using pigtails, I kept on cutting my hands and fingers as I couldn’t help but hit the dangerously sharp steel edges of the housing (without bend borders, it's much cheaper to produce, and of course this is made in China!) As I was lying on my back, laboring and cursing, the electrician showed up and without hesitating one second I gave him my spot and gladly let him finish the job. As for re-routing the phone line, this expert said that it was too much work and talked me into leaving it as it was. The man didn’t do anything extraordinary in finishing what I had started, but I sure was relieved that he finally showed up!

No comments: