Monday, June 30, 2008

Killy’s lasting legacy

There’s little doubt that Jean-Claude Killy has had a huge influence on France and its development into a skiing powerhouse (both in term of its equipment suppliers and its ski areas.) His achievements also inspired many vocations in the field, including my very own. As a result, I still thank him for having inspired me to pursue a gratifying career in the snow industry. But what I retained from Killy’s success goes beyond the narrow world of skiing; it’s in fact a holistic approach to action, business and living. It could be summarized as such, even though he might have not have expressed these ideas into these very words:
“Take manageable risks in order to stand a chance at winning”
“In any undertaking, the worst enemy is fear and doubt”
“Be sharply focused on the prize, yet remain detached and nimble at all times”
“Learn by observing”
I probably could go on, but these ideas, I feel, captures the essence of a man who’s much more than a great skier.

No comments: