Monday, June 23, 2008

Last day of skiing, second day of summer

Yesterday morning, I was intent on going to Snowbird for their 183th and final day of skiing of the season, but the temperature was a bit too warm and, come to think of it, I didn't feel like adding to my "carbon footprint" by driving one and a half hour up and down the canyons to “slush” my way through some less than pristine snow. Instead, I climbed upon the roof of my house and decided to clean it from the pesky catkin, a by-product of the aspen flowers, more prevalent on male trees, the only gender that loves to hug the roof!) Catkin appears in early spring before leaving way to the leaves. Not only does this vegetal garbage get all over the garden, but it also covers the roof and eventually completely fills the gutters, so when leaves are fully grown, it becomes time to clean-up the mess. I take my power blower and get the job done in a couple of hours; Evelyne helps by picking-up the debris and filling up our gigantic garbage can. That annual chore doesn't quite match the fun of going down the slopes, but it sure gets me up and down the top of the house and paying as much attention when I reach the edge of the roof to empty the gutters!

No comments: