Monday, November 22, 2010

Owing my livelihood to tourism

That's it; this weekend saw our first, big snowfall of the early winter and everything is now white and ready for another new ski season. As I always say without thinking too much about it, “snow is our bread and butter” and as I thought a little bit deeper than usual about that comment, I came to realize that basically all my life, I have had jobs and made my living more or less directly, through tourism. I've not participated into building a better world, inventing new technologies or contributing significantly to the betterment of the human condition.

I've simply earned a living though channeling fun and entertainment to visiting tourists and sportsmen. Was it a hollow contribution, a waste of my talent, or was it somehow useful? I'm not ready to answer that, but suffice to say that I owe everything I have - and continue to get - to the leisure and tourism industry. The immediate takeaway is that I should be very, very nice to visiting tourists and probably should look for
a way to give back even more to that industry. As for re-inventing myself into something more serious and more useful to society, even when I tried it very hard, I wasn't able to make it click. This must be fate...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am seriously not as well familiar with this subject but I do prefer to pay a visit to blogs for layout ideas and interesting topics. You genuinely expanded upon a subject that I commonly don't care much about and created it quite fascinating. This is often a great website that I will take on be aware of. I previously bookmarked it for long term reference. Cheers

--------------------------------------------
my website is
http://dogshirt.org

Also welcome you!

Go 11 said...

Thank you for your nice comments. I too visited dogshirt.org and learned many things I wasn't aware... Great site!