Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Assembling the compost tumbler

Yesterday, we finally purchased that compost tumbler that we had seen at Costco for a while. I had indeed researched rotating composters for more than a year, as an addition to our overly static compost bin that takes forever to decompose anything, particularly in our extremely dry climate. That one was a great value, yeah, $99.99, although it was packed into a seemingly small cardboard box. When we returned from the store, as the kid I always am, I couldn't wait to unpack my new toy, put it together and show it off to my spouse.
While the cost is great, the assembly took me a good three hours, some extensive help of my dear wife, without screwing up a thing; you see, I can follow instructions when I apply myself to doing it! All along, I marveled at the engineering design and the great thoughts that went into it. Our new tumbler was completed and ready by dinner time. It will be able to hold 80 gallons of compost and is made of of UV-protected high-density polyethylene panels, standing on a galvanized steel base and our model came with a lame “how to compost DVD” but we'll do a better job figuring it our ourselves; I can't wait to fill-it up!

No comments: