Thursday, April 7, 2011

End of ski season?

Yesterday was another wonderful ski day, not just because we had received another 2 inches in the morning, but also because the weather stayed cold all day, barely reaching the 42 degree mark at our house by the end of the afternoon; we skied Deer Valley and had a genuine blast, particularly in the “Triangle Trees!” The day before stood in stark contrast as the temperature was much warmer and the snow just awful after 11 am. Today, and for the following two days, we're bracing for more snow; so what is a skier to make of all this confusing weather as it relate to snow conditions? For one thing there still can be great skiing to be had in April and sometimes incredible deep powder too, but turn on the heat and the conditions can become dreary in a very short time.
So the bottom line is that spring skiing is fundamentally moody and its quality jumps all the time between despair and elation. Most of our local resorts stay open through April 17th and after that I had considered getting a pass and skiing Snowbird through the end of May. Will I do it? I don't know yet; I will see as we get to that point. I haven't been skiing a lot this season, but certainly have enhanced the type of skiing I've been doing, skiing in odd places and having wonderful experiences, discovering places that I ignored until now. Let's say more quality and a bit less quantity, so when the season comes to a screeching halt, I'll be satisfied and perhaps looking forward to doing something quite different for a while...

No comments: