Friday, April 15, 2011

Dave Sabey, my ski buddy

For many of the 23 winter seasons I have been skiing Park City Mountain Resort, I'd ski with Dave. Today, we're separated since I choose to ski Deer Valley and Canyons over my former stumping grounds, and lost a great ski buddy in the process. Two days ago, we skied together at Canyons and we both had a ball. While he is just five years younger than me, my friend Dave can ski!
When I ski with him I feel like a crazy little kid, once more, and this could be dangerous; it's much safer for both of us that we remain separated, most of the time. His recipe for exhibiting a superb class on ski is simple: He is consumed by his passion for the sport and does what it takes to ski 120 to 130 days in a season. I'm much more measured and get on the snow between 85 and 100 days if I'm lucky. The reason? Unlike me, he had his “guilt gland” removed 15 years ago...

No comments: