Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Social freedom

This could begin with freedom of religion or superstition, race and gender equality, full reproductive rights for women as well as fair and open view of gay and transgender orientation. What I want to discuss today is freedom of religion. I fully agree with the idea, even though I'm not religious. I just want to underscore a few points. First, we should do with any theocracy on the face of this earth; from Iran and Israel to Utah, among other places. Then, there should be no tax break at all for being religious, like there's no tax break for watching TV or listening to rock and roll music. If not, we, the non-religious are unfairly taxed. Pretty easy.

Next, the government shouldn't poke its nose into religious matter and claim that we are, as a nation, “on God's side.” I don't think God – if there's one - cares in the least. There should also be no religion-inspired legislation, like sharia law and finally, if I can't enter my bank branch with a hat and sunglasses on, burkas shouldn't be allowed in the streets on normal days of the year. Perhaps just on Mardi-Gras. That's all!

No comments: