Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Thinking while skiing...

As a matter of fact, I can't indulge into deep thinking while I ski. I have tried it and it won't work, so I don't use skiing for brainstorming or for resolving difficult issues. In fact, when I ski, I'm not thinking at all. Sure, I do pay attention and stay highly concentrated at all times and this is perhaps why I can't think about anything deep or complex when I'm standing on my boards. What about on the chairlift, then, you might ask? Well, when I'm riding up, I'm resting from the intense concentration I just expanded while skiing, so beside observing in a highly detached mode what goes on around be, whether it's the skiers below, the scenery in front of me or the sky above, there is no active thinking going inside my brain. Call that a form of “idle concentration” if you like.

Do I get hunches or special inspirations while I'm on the snow, like we do in the shower? Not really. I would say that skiing is a way for my to empty my brain and to relax, let's call this “meditate.” Which brings me to a question my doctor asked when I had my annual check up a few weeks ago: Do you follow any kind of meditative regimen? I simply said no, not knowing any better and not thinking that my main opportunity to meditate was when I was on my skis or picking dandelion. Interestingly, in years past, I used to listen to my iPod when I skied alone. For the past season or so, I have unconsciously given up the practice. I enjoy the serenity of concentrating on something purely mechanical like skiing or doing some menial work in my garden. My way to transcend...

No comments: