Monday, July 2, 2012

Backing up a small trailer

We just bought a new barbecue grill. Since that one was already assembled, I made the momentous decision to go fetch it, with my two-wheel trailer, at Home Depot. We obviously seldom use that little trailer, so it's always a big deal to get it out, hooked up to the car and the rest.

This time, my wife and I did a remarkable job in getting it hitched-up in record time. The only problem of course with trailers, at least for those of us who seldom use them, is baking them up into the driveway when we return home. As usual, I struggled, jackknifed the thing several times and finally gave up when it was half-way up the driveway. I knew of course that lightweight two-wheelers are a lot tougher to back-up than heavier and more rigids four-wheelers.

That's when I decided to do some research on the subject and where else to go than YouTube, of course! Well my search didn't yield the wonderful results I was hoping for, but I still got a great video with the most essentials tips: Start with your vehicle and its trailer lined up straight, pick a point of reference, only use your side mirrors and take your time.

That made a lot of sense to me but, in my view, missed three important points: Practice, practice, practice... Next time I get this little trailer out, I'll first go to one of the Deer Valley Resort parking lot to practice my skills in that domain!

No comments: