Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The neighbor was right...

About twelve years ago, when we still lived in our large home, our next door neighbor was poking fun at our leisurely running pace, saying that we were almost faking it. That wasn't nice of him to say that when he was a bit overweight and his sole sport might have been lazy skiing and lazy golfing; yet, he probably was a keen observer and his comment was quite correct.

We could do better; in fact, we could do much better. In fact, for years, I had been resisting repeated attempts by my spouse to run faster under the pretense that our daily run was just for fun. That search for betterment began about a year ago when I start pushing myself while running alone as my wife just had knee operation.

This spring and early summer however, we decided to get serious about running faster and once or twice a week we're pushing ourselves and have been continually breaking our previous record. Should I admit that a couple years ago, we were sometime running 10 minutes slower than our fastest pace to date? Well, if this shows anything, it demonstrates that we can all do better, I mean, much, much better!

No comments: