Friday, August 17, 2012

How to reduce a dislocated finger?

This particular accident happened to me 15 days ago, and yesterday, while I was seeing my family doctor for an annual check up, he told me the best way for reducing a dislocated finger, was to bend the joint backwards and then pulled it back in place.

 Since this advice sounded totally counter-intuitive to me, I began to research the subject only to find no rhyme nor reasons to the various treatments that were proposed. At best, everything was vague, which lead me to believe that there was no good methodology being taught or used to address the problem.

Based on this, my sense is that caregivers will “intuitively” pull with all their might on the displaced finger to re-align it (what happened to me after 5 painful attempts!) Pretty sad state of the knowledge in this area.

At any rate, the following video represents the information that makes the most sense to me. Now, you might ask how's my right ring finger? Getting progressively better, but by very small increments!

No comments: