Saturday, August 11, 2012

Parallel careers

Yesterday afternoon and evening, we had the honor to play host to Audrey and Thierry Convert, a visiting couple from France, whose life path has been amazingly influenced by the twists and turns of my own career. Just read this amazing story: In 1977, while working as product manager for Look ski binding, in Nevers, France, I was offered to move to America and work in a similar capacity at the firm's new subsidiary in New York.

Thierry took over my position at the French headquarters. In 1982, as Look moved to Vermont, I decided to remain in New York, changed jobs and was replaced by the same Thierry, who came to the U.S.A. with his wife and, for the second time, followed me in my former office space and picked up where I left off.

The company I went to work for was Lange ski boots; in 1986, one of my last assignments with that firm, was to check out Caber, a struggling Italian boot maker that Lange (then owned by Rossignol's founder and majority stakeholder) was interested in taking over for production and by the same token, launching the new Rossignol line.

I saw the writing on the wall and understood that if I stayed with Lange, I'd be sent to Italy to run the division. I didn't feel like moving back to Europe and instead chose to stay in the USA where I started a new venture distributing other ski products. Again, and for a third time, Thierry Convert was the one who took that Rossignol job, with the sole difference that he landed at the firm's headquarters near Grenoble, France.

"Third time's the charm" they say; following that last move, the “spell” was broken, but the three consecutive job changes remained totally astonishing! Last evening was a wonderful opportunity to reminisce these bygone days in the ski business and agree that fate do play an incredible role in our lives...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really glad to hear that he is on the move. We, the old Nordica USA, hosted a party for him last summer here in BTV. Wonderful to see all the old friends.
Andy Knittle

Anonymous said...

What you might not remember is that not only did I get to know you while you were at Look, I also worked with Thierry while he was at Look and then I was hired by Jacques Rodet to work on the Caber project as the representative from the US and Canada. I left Nordic to go to work for Rossignol on that project and worked for 5 years to try and keep retailers buying Caber while we developed the 1st Rossignol boot. It was an interesting expirence with both of you.
Bruce Barrows

Go 11 said...

Great story, Thierry is a great guy, I remember him dearly. He was always a class act. I hope you hi from me to him. He looks very much the same.
Mike Noonan

Go 11 said...

Tomasini forwarded your message to me about the Convert visit. I was unable to match up with them on their Vermont visit but it sounds
like they are traveling the country. If you see them again, give them my regards and my regards to you as well.
Gary Petrich

Anonymous said...

So very good to hear from Thierry. What great memories it has brought back!
My time with you, Thierry and so many other dear dear friends during the Nordica/Look time were the best times of my career in the ski business.
Should you have occasion to speak or have contact with Thierry please pass along my best wishes!
Dick Brammer