Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Looking back at Look

Thierry Convert's visit was a great way to re-ignite my memories about Look, a period spanning between 30 and 38 years ago. Look ski binding was my first corporate job and I clinched it thanks to having been born under the right astrological sign!

That's true, this was the last question Mrs. Beyl, the company founder's wife, asked me before saying: “You're hired!” No college degree required, only a pretty good understanding of skiing and the ability to interact in four different languages opened the door to a wonderful career.

There's no denying that Look was the ticket into my professional life and taught me most of the things I might have learned in an Ivy League School, except that it ended up being much harder and taxing, both physically and emotionally.

In taking the position, I made the classical mistake of thinking that I was indeed part of the “family company” and invested my heart and soul into the job which, at times, felt like it was “mission impossible” among a dysfunctional group of people.  Soon, my employment brought me to America where I had a chance to hone my basic marketing skills and, from there, I gathered all the elements needed for building a fun career.

In retrospect, Look was the initial stepping stone that made the rest possible and turned my American dream into a successful reality. Hard to beat!

No comments: