Tuesday, December 25, 2012

A special present...

For Christmas, I received a very special present that intrigues me a whole lot. It consist of a DNA analysis service subscription, called “23andMe”, a personal genomics and biotechnology company based in Mountain View, California that provides rapid genetic testing.

The company is named for the 23 pairs of chromosomes in a normal human cell. Their personal genome test kit was named "Invention of the Year" by Time magazine in 2008 . This morning, I spat provide a 2.5 milliliter sample that will be mailed on Wednesday for analysis by the Silicon Valley lab.
The offshoot of this experiment should should provide me with an assessment of my inherited traits (I hope they'll determine that I'm a great guy), my genealogy (that I originate from some distant ape) and possibly tell me what my congenital risk factors might be (such as mortality, for example).

I can't wait to know all this and I'm really grateful for that original Christmas present!

No comments: