Thursday, December 27, 2012

How far is skiing?

I'm not joking, the distance between where one lives and a ski resort parking lot, plays a key role in how often folks go skiing and how late in life they'll stick to the sport. For instance, here in Park City, I am no more than 7 minute drive from two of our three resorts. Deer Valley is a tiny bit further, but only 12 minute total.

Where I used to live in France, skiing was no closer than 10 minute and in those days with very light traffic, it would take me at least one quarter of an hour to get to the Avoriaz lower-tram station parking lot, and only when the roads were dry. I am saying this, because the longer the distance between home and the slopes, the less likely and less frequent skiing is going to be.

My brother in law lives one hour away from Avoriaz base station and while he still occasionally teaches skiing, he must find the drive a bear. Same thing for me when I want to ski Snowbird or Alta; both are about one hour drive, provided the roads are excellent. The morale of that story, is that the key to a long and frequent skiing life can be found not farther than how close the ski-lifts are from your own home...

No comments: