Friday, December 21, 2012

The curse of consumer products

As I was ready to shoot a ski video on a freezing early morning in Deer Valley this past Wednesday, the tiny button that I use to start or stop recording was no longer on my camcorder. Right, an itsy-bitsy button was rendering my camera totally inoperable!

By chance a little voice in the back of my head told me to go the lodge and get a toothpick to make it work and it did, but how impractical this was! Back home, I got on the phone with Sony. I explained the situation. They told me the product has just passed its one-year warranty and is no longer covered. I will have to fork out $192 to get it fixed!

To put things into perspective, I only paid $450 for the camcorder, so the Handycam maker is asking for almost half of the cost of the entire product to replace a basic and minuscule part that came off because it probably was poorly designed and assembled in the first place.

All this to say, that at this point, we can't justify paying the hefty penalty for making a minute repair on a product. We through away the one that's technically still perfectly functional and purchase a new one!

No comments: