Saturday, February 9, 2013

Mrs Beyl? No, Madame Look

Yesterday, I picked up the phone to call Mrs Beyl. This 92 year old lady is the other part of the couple that made Look ski bindings possible, the one that ran the company with an iron-fist while her husband was busy inventing, skiing, water-skiing and having a great time. She built the French sales for the company, had steadfast principles and was both admired and feared.

She's the one who gave me one of my first big break in life when she hired me one summer day of 1974. Without that job, who know what I would have done of my life? Would I be living in America today? Most likely, because that was part of my “original plan” but the rest of my story might have been vastly different.

At her very respectable age, Mrs. Beyl continues to speak and think as she ever did when I knew her in the 70s and early 80s. She hasn't changed a bit, she is still turbo-charged with energy. She still drives her Mini Cooper and takes no abuse from anyone.
She told me that recently, as she was getting back into her tiny British car, she heard two young men sneering at her and saying: “Look at the old lady and her Mini...” She stood up to them and shouted “The old lady tells you to go f*** yourself!”

She didn't mince her words, but why should she. For those who haven't known her, she's is like the Rock of Gibraltar, the good version of the Iron Lady, well, she's Madame Look!

No comments: