Wednesday, February 6, 2013

New skis, new boots...

Yesterday was a special ski day for me. I was getting tired and somewhat held-up by my “rock skis” that finally decided to take my new Scott Reverse skis for a spin, but at the same time, as if I wanted to add “insult to injury” I also choose to try my brand new pair of ski boots.

The fact is that I mounted my new skis for my new boots which soles were slightly different from my current, old pair of boots. What I was about to do is probably kind of sacrilegious when it comes to on-snow testing. I hardly had never done that in recent years, except perhaps, about 30 years ago, when I worked for Lange and we would test boots in Italy or at Mt. Hood with some borrowed demo-skis.

Do I need to say that it took me all afternoon and more than 20,000 vertical feet to finally get used to the new setup? At first, I was quite tentative, my skis felt “squirrely,” my out-of-the-box boot liners didn't get along too well with my ankles, but by closing time I almost was flying. All this to confirm what I've always believed: Skiers will adapt to almost anything!

No comments: