Friday, July 11, 2014

About negotiating

If you have been involved in business transactions, in any work in progress or are employed by someone, you've been negotiating. Some say, you have to be tough or ask for much more in order to leave room for settlement, others tell you to go “win-win”.

After all is said and done, I stick to some principles that work pretty well for me: 
  • I set a goal based on the outcome I want to get. I stay focused on that goal. 
  • I remain fair at all times; I won't take advantage of my opponent. 
  • I don't get distracted by strange or hostile words, communication or behaviors. 
  • I remain super-organized, take key notes in the event I'll need them down the road. 
  • I think and act both strategically and tactically.
  • I'm always ready to walk away.
  • I take my time for the process to run its course, but I don't delay it either, and will make my move when the time is right.
What about you?

No comments: