Saturday, July 5, 2014

Côte-Rôtie on my mountain bike

Most Frenchmen should be able to tell you that “la Côte-Rôtie” is a prestigious red from the Rhône wine region of France.

The vineyards are unique because of the sun-baked steep slopes facing the river and their stone walls. In cycling parlance, that name would translate into the “Roasting Climb” and this is precisely how our regular bike outing gets going, alongside an arid, sun drenched and steep climb that continues for 2.5 miles all the way to the top of the hill, for a 305 feet elevation gain.

I hate this portion of the trail and the only way to motivate myself is to picture in my mind's eye a cool bottle of Côte-Rôtie waiting for me upon my return. Thank God, this is only fantasizing, otherwise my liver would have long derailed!

No comments: